TEMPURA LOBSTER TACOS with JERK SPICED SOUR CREAM
(Serves 6 - 1 taco per person)
3, 5-6 oz. frozen lobster tails, defrosted, and carefully removed from shells
6 Large tortillas
Shredded cabbage or lettuce
½ C Sour cream
2 T Jerk sauce
3 Ripe Haas avocados
¾ C Chopped tomatoes
½ C Chopped scallions
6 Lime wedges plus juice of 1 lime
2 t Salt
1 C AP flour
2 t Baking powder
1- 1¼ C Cold seltzer
Oil for frying
- To make the batter: Combine flour, salt, baking powder, seltzer, and 2 t jerk sauce. Whisk to combine. Set aside in refrigerator.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a deep pot to 360°.
- To make the “guacamole”: Combine avocados, tomatoes, scallions, 1 t salt, and lime juice. Mash some of the avocado, but let it remain fairly chunky. Press plastic wrap directly onto surface to lessen darkening of the avocado. Set aside in refrigerator.
- Heat/soften tortillas in a dry skillet over medium high heat for approximately 30-45 seconds a side.
- Split each lobster tail lengthwise. Slice thick ends into ½ inch pieces. As you move to the thinner end, increase the size of pieces (so they all cook at similar rates.) Coat pieces in batter and fry in hot oil for 2 minutes. Don’t overcook. Remove to a rack to drain.
- To assemble tacos: On each tortilla, place some shredded cabbage or lettuce, top with a heaping T of guacamole, 4-5 pieces of lobster, and a T of jerk sour cream.
- Serve with a lime wedge, fold up and enjoy!