(Serves approximately 6)
4-6 live lobsters (1 to 1½ pounds each)
Chives and/or tarragon
Shallots or scallions
Salt/pepper if needed
Hot dog buns
1) Bring 2 inches of water to a rolling boil in the largest pot you have, with a collapsible steamer basket in place (or a few smaller pots if necessary).
2) Place the lobsters in, head down, and close the lid... FAST!
3) Lobsters are done when the shells turn bright red... approximately 12-14 minutes. Remove with tongs to a rack or colander. Allow to cool.
4) Remove as much meat as you can. Save the shells for GREAT stock!
5) Add finely chopped celery, shallots, and if you’d like... some tarragon and/or chives and/or a bit of lemon zest and/or capers. Amounts are totally to taste... but the object is not to obscure the flavor of the lobsters!!
6) Serve lobster on buttered, toasted hot dog buns (that’s traditional, but feel free to use any roll you like).
This “lobster salad” is also great on a bed of greens, in a halved avocado, or by itself.